Healthy eating means different things to different people. But how can you achieve your personal goals? Here are 7 helpful healthy tips to keep in mind when you’re creating your shopping list:
- Go green! Dark green leafy vegetables such as spinach and kale are loaded with vitamins and minerals and act as an antioxidant in your body. They are a great source of lutein, which helps protect vision, and fibre to help with weight management!
- Go nuts! Seeds and nuts contain heart healthy nutrients including fibre and unsaturated fat. They’re also a great source of protein to help keep your muscles strong, and they are cholesterol free!
- Get on the grain train! Whole grains such as oats, pot barley, brown rice and quinoa are a great source of fibre and may help lower risk of heart disease, obesity, and type 2 diabetes. They also help you feel full longer and maintain good digestive health!
- Love your layers! Turn your salad into a fashion statement by adding layers of texture and colour. Start with a leafy green base, layer on some crunchy vegetables. Next add protein from nuts, cubed chicken, beans or cheese! Pull the whole thing together with your favourite vinaigrette!
- Keep up your calcium! Famous for making bones strong and preventing osteoporosis, calcium also helps your heart, nerves and muscles work properly. Sources include milk, yogurt, and other dairy products but also collards and kale, navy beans and almonds.
- Load up on legumes! Do your mind and body a favour by upping your intake of chickpeas, lentils and kidney beans. They’re high in iron and fibre, are great for your heart, and can increase and maintain your energy level!
- Stay hydrated! Water is vital to healthy living, helps you feel full longer, and adds a glow to your skin. Best of all, it doesn’t have to be boring. Pretty up your next glass with slices of cucumber, citrus fruits or berries, or a sprig of mint and enjoy the refreshing taste.
For great recipes and more visit metro.ca
Copyright 2015 ZoomerMedia Limited