Craving Chinese food? Instead of scouring the menu for the #32 Almond Chicken, save yourself the calories and chemicals and go for our goo-free version. Not only is it easy to make but it’s also free of MSG, salt-mine-sodium and the deep-fryer glaze.
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp kosher salt
2 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
2 cups sliced almonds
2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp flour
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp kosher salt
3/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp butter
1 tsp orange zest
1 tsp lemon zest
1) Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with non-stick cooking spray.
2) Place chicken between 2 sheets of wax paper and pound to even thickness, about 1/2-inch thick.
3) In a small bowl, whisk egg, milk, flour and salt. In a shallow dish, combine panko and almonds.
4) Dip chicken breasts in egg mixture and then coat in panko-almonds, pressing gently to adhere.
5) In a large skillet, melt 2 tbsp butter over medium heat. Add coated chicken breast, cooking 3 minutes per side or until lightly browned on both sides. Remove from skillet and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes.
6) For the sauce, in a medium saucepan, whisk sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt. Add orange juice, water and lemon juice, whisking well to combine. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes or until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and add 2 tsp butter, orange zest and lemon zest. Stir well to combine.
7) To serve, diagonally slice each chicken breast into 4 pieces and drizzle with warm orange sauce.
Bite Me Bit: "Orange is the happiest color."-Frank Sinatra
Pucker up! We also have a lip-smacking, juicy Lemon Chicken, a recipe that calls for chicken marinated in white wine and lemon juice and baked in a citrus broth mixture.
Whether it’s cruising the aisles at the Dollar Store or experimenting at the stove, we believe that every day can be a holiday.
More on EverythingZoomer.com
Copyright Two Sisters and a Jane