After Turkey Time: 6 Easy and Delicious Veggie Recipes
Photo: OksanaKiian/Getty Images
While we enjoyed our turkey feasts, we’re excited to get cooking these six easy and delicious vegetarian recipes.
1. Baked Eggplant Parmesan Sandwiches (above)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp tomato paste
1(28oz) can diced tomatoes, with liquid
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp kosher salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 medium eggplants, cut into 30 (½-inch thick) slices
1 tbsp kosher salt
¼ cup flour
¼ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup breadcrumbs
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
10 crusty sandwich buns
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1) For the tomato sauce, in a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add onion, stirring 2-3 minutes until tender. Stir in garlic and tomato paste and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add diced tomatoes and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and using a handheld immersion blender, process slightly, leaving the sauce somewhat chunky. Season with sugar, salt and pepper.
2) For the eggplant, place the slices in a large strainer, sprinkle with 1 tbsp of salt, toss to coat and let sit for 30 minutes. Rinse the eggplant and dry well with paper towel.
3) Preheat oven to 425ºF and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Place flour, salt and pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Add eggplant slices and toss to coat. Place eggs in a medium bowl. In a large bowl, combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Dip each slice of eggplant in the eggs and then in the breadcrumb mixture, coating both sides well. Place in a single layer on prepared baking sheets and spray the tops with non-stick cooking spray. Bake 12-13 minutes, flip the slices and continue baking for 12-13 minutes more, until eggplant is golden. Remove from oven and set broiler to high.
4) To assemble sandwiches, spread 2 tbsp of tomato sauce on the bottom of one sandwich bun, place a small portion of arugula over the sauce. Layer on 3 eggplant slices, 2 tbsp of tomato sauce and 3 tbsp of mozzarella cheese over the sauce. Heat under broiler until bubbly and golden. Remove from oven and add the top of the bun. Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
Yield: 10 sandwiches
2. Easy Ricotta Gnocchi in Tomato Sauce
4 cups ricotta cheese
3 large eggs
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 cups flour
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
1 small red onion, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 (28oz/796ml) cans diced tomatoes, with liquid
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1) Dust 2 baking sheets with flour. Set aside.
2) For the dough, in a large bowl, using your hands or a wooden spoon, combine ricotta, eggs, Parmesan, salt and pepper. Add flour 1 cup at a time to form a soft dough. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead gently for 2 minutes.
3) Divide the dough into 6 pieces and roll each into a ball. Roll out each ball into 1/2-inch thick ropes. Cut each rope into 1-inch slices and gently place on prepared baking sheets. If not cooking right away, cover and place in refrigerator until ready to use.
4) For the sauce, in a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrot and onion, stirring for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Stir in minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste and crushed red pepper flakes, bringing to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and use a hand held or countertop blender to process until smooth. Season with sugar, salt and pepper.
5) To cook gnocchi, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Drop pieces into boiling water and cook until gnocchi rise to the surface, about 2-3 minutes. Remove gnocchi using a slotted spoon and place in a serving bowl. Top with tomato sauce and serve.
Serves 8-10, yielding approximately 120 gnocchi
3. Kale & Roasted Pepper Pizza
Homemade Pizza Dough
2 cups flour
1 pkg (2¼ tsp) active dry yeast
1 tsp kosher salt
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup warm water
Extra flour for kneading
2 tsp olive oil
4 cups kale leaves, stemmed and roughly chopped
¼ cup tomato sauce
2 small red peppers, roasted, peeled and thinly sliced
3oz feta cheese, crumbled
1(5oz) mozzarella ball, thinly sliced
Olive oil, to drizzle
Kosher salt, to sprinkle
1) For the dough, in a large bowl, combine flour, yeast and salt. Add oil and water and knead lightly to combine ingredients. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead by hand for 3-5 minutes, until the dough is smooth and no longer sticky. Place dough in a large bowl that has been coated with non-stick cooking spray. Cover with a towel and let rise for 30 minutes.
2) Preheat oven to 450ºF and preheat a pizza stone for at least 30 minutes before baking pizzas.
3) To prepare the kale, heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add the kale and cook, stirring occasionally just until the leaves are slightly wilted. Remove from heat and set aside.
4) To assemble pizzas, divide the dough in half and roll each half into a 10-inch round on a lightly floured surface. Spread the tomato sauce on both pizzas. Evenly place kale and roasted red peppers over the tomato sauce, sprinkle with feta cheese and place mozzarella slices evenly around both pizzas. Drizzle a few drops of olive oil over the pizzas and sprinkle with salt. Transfer pizza to the preheated stone and bake until cheese is melted and the crust is golden brown, about 12-15 minutes.
Yield: 2 (10-inch) pizzas
4. Creamy Peanut Noodles with Tofu
1lb udon noodles
1(350g/12oz) package extra firm tofu
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 cups shelled edamame, steamed and drained
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 medium carrot, peeled and coarsely grated
1 cup bean sprouts
Creamy Peanut Butter Sauce
½ cup smooth peanut butter
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup warm water
¼ cup chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tbsp honey
½ tsp lime zest
¼ tsp chili sauce, we like Sriracha