Healthy Eats: Try This Easy-to-Make and Delicious Salmon Rice Bowl
Need to whip up something quick for dinner? Try this Japanese-style teriyaki salmon rice bowl that’s delicious, healthy and a breeze to make.
Ready to be bowled over? Check out this incredible Japanese-style Teriyaki Salmon Rice Bowl, an easy, healthy and extremely tasty meal. The homemade teriyaki sauce (it’s easy, we promise) is lustrous and lends a sweet and tangy glaze to the tender roasted salmon. Paired with sautéed spinach and creamy avocado, this hearty-yet-healthy salmon is superb.
Honey Teriyaki Sauce
6 tbsp soy sauce
6 tbsp mirin
6 tbsp sake
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp water
4 (6oz) salmon fillets
2 tsp olive oil
10 oz baby spinach
½ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 cups cooked Jasmine or brown rice
1 large ripe avocado, thinly sliced, for garnish
Black sesame seeds, for garnish
Green onions, thinly sliced for garnish
1) For the teriyaki sauce, in a small bowl, whisk soy sauce, mirin, sake and honey. In another small bowl, combine cornstarch and water and mix until smooth. Set aside. Remove 3 tbsp of soy mixture for marinating salmon. Pour remaining soy mixture in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Whisk in cornstarch mixture and continuously whisk until desired thickness, about 2 minutes.
2) Place salmon fillets in a large reusable plastic bag and add reserved 3 tbsp of soy mixture. Set aside to marinate for 30 minutes.
3) Preheat oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove salmon from marinade and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, remove from oven and brush the top of each salmon fillet with a generous amount of teriyaki sauce. Return to oven and bake 3-5 minutes more until fish flakes easily. Remove from oven.
4) While the fish cooks, in a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add spinach, salt and pepper and toss to coat with olive oil. Cover and cook for 1 minute, uncover, turn heat to high and cook 1 minute more while continuously stirring. Remove from heat.
5) To assemble bowls, place cooked rice in the bottom of each bowl. Divide sautéed spinach between the 4 bowls and lay salmon over spinach. Garnish each bowl with a few slices of avocado, a sprinkling of sesame seeds and green onions. Drizzle remaining teriyaki sauce over finished bowls.