Prince Philip Cancels Engagement for Medical Reasons
Britain’s Prince Philip has pulled out of attending the Battle of Jutland memorial on Tuesday (31.05.16) on doctor’s advice.
The 94-year-old prince – who is married to Queen Elizabeth – had been due to travel to Orkney with daughter Princess Anne for a series of engagements staged to mark 100 years since the biggest naval engagement of World War One, but has “reluctantly decided” not to make the trip.
The prince has not attended hospital and it is understood he has no plans to cancel other engagements.
A royal spokesperson said: “The background is that this is on the doctor’s order, but there are no plans for him to go to hospital.
“This is a temporary health thing.”
Philip, who turns 95 next month, is the Royal Navy Lord High Admiral and is said to be “immensely disappointed” not to be a part of the anniversary events.
A source told The Sun newspaper: “Its commemoration is very important to the duke. He is generally very fit but for a man of his age a bad cold can easily lead to something worse, like pneumonia.
“Travelling on a plane, with air conditioning, is not ideal.”
Philip had been due to attend a service at St. Magnus Cathedral in Kirkwall and a commemorative event at Lyness Royal Naval Cemetery on Hoy.
In the order of service for the St. Magnus memorial, Philip wrote a message which said the commemorations were focused on the “endurance and gallantry” of all those who took part in the battle.
The Battle of Jutland began on 31 May 1916 when the Royal Navy’s Grand Fleet – which was based at Scapa Flow – Orkney, clashed with the German High Seas Fleet.
Around 250 ships were involved in the battle, which saw the death of over 8,000 men.