Top Shelf: The Renaissance of Canadian Rye Whisky
Classic cocktails have made a comeback with the Manhattan, the Old Fashioned and the Vieux Carré appearing in bar menus around the world. These three hand-crafted drinks all have one thing in common, the use of Canada’s signature spirit – rye whisky.
Rye is often preferred by whisky enthusiasts because its distinct character offers a taste that stands out from the others. Distillers like Lot No. 40® are reaping the benefits of the ‘rye renaissance.’
What sets Lot No. 40® apart from the rest? For one, it’s distilled one batch at a time in a copper pot still using the finest locally sourced ingredients. It’s then matured in carefully selected virgin white oak casks. The finished result is a 100% rye whisky packed with a well-balanced blend of dark fruits, vanilla, toffee, and peppery spice.
Try your hand at playing mixologist for the night and channel your inner cocktail connoisseur with this Lot No. 40® Old Fashioned.
Lot No. 40® Old Fashioned Recipe
- 2 oz. Lot No.40®
- 1 raw sugar cube
- 5 dashes Angostura aromatic bitters
- Splash of soda water
- Hard ice
- Mixing glass
- Bar spoon
- Orange zest
- Put the raw sugar cube in a mixing glass
- Add 5 – 7 dashes of angostura bitters
- Add a splash of soda water
- Muddle the sugar into a paste
- Add Lot No. 40 Canadian whisky
- Add ice and stir (approximately 30 revolutions)
- Strain in rocks glass filled with ice
- Take an orange zest, quickly snap over the glass to release aromatic oils
- Drop orange zest into drink
Please enjoy our products responsibly.
For more information visit, http://www.corby.ca/brands/Lot40
Copyright 2015 All Rights Reserved – Corby Spirit and Wine Limited.