What Are My Healthcare Rights
Ontario has more than 300,000 practising healthcare professionals. They are governed by health regulators called ‘colleges’. The colleges protect the public by holding their members accountable for their conduct and practice, whether they are a doctor treating you in a clinic, or a lab technologist performing tests on your samples. It is the job of Ontario’s health regulators to ensure that you are treated with skill and fairness when you receive health care in our province.
View our video to learn more about us.
What to do when you visit a healthcare provider:
- Take an active part in your care. It is your right to ask questions and get clear answers about your health issues and treatment options.
- Have an open discussion of costs and fees. Your healthcare provider should explain anything you are paying for.
- Give informed consent. After getting all the information you need, you can agree to or refuse any procedure, for any reason, at any time.
- Get a second opinion. You have the right to seek advice from another healthcare professional on any issue that pertains to your health.
- Have your privacy protected. The personal health information you disclose to your healthcare providers stays confidential. You have the right to view and get a copy of your own information.
Can I check my healthcare professional’s record?
Yes, you can check this with their regulatory college. Each college has a public register that you can search on their website. You can view a list of all of the college’s registries here. The registers lists things like the qualifications of each member, where and what they are allowed to practise, and if limits have been put on their practice because of professional misconduct.
How do I give feedback or make a complaint about my health care?
You can give feedback to the regulatory colleges about health care you receive from any provider in Ontario. You can also make formal complaints to the healthcare provider’s college.
Go to http://www.ontariohealthregulators.ca/ and click on Get Help.