Roasted Tomato Soup
CARP RECOMMENDED PARTNER SPONSORED CONTENT
A pot of soup is the ultimate comfort food when the weather turns cold. Chase away the November blues with our savoury roasted tomato soup recipe. Warm and hearty, this soup is loaded with delicious, nutritious readily available ingredients.
Tomatoes are considered a superfood! This nutrient-rich plant food offers a range of benefits including: heart health, maintenance of healthy blood pressure, reduction of glucose in people with diabetes and, since they contain carotenoids such as lutein, they can help protect your eyes against the risk of light-induced damages.
Did you know? Cherry tomatoes have a higher content of beta carotene than other tomatoes. Our bodies convert beta carotene into vitamin A which protects the cornea, or the surface of the eye.
Hope you enjoy this soup as much as we do!
INGREDIENTS – Serves 4 to 6
- 2 ½ pounds fresh tomatoes, cored and halved (vine or cherry tomatoes)
- 6 to 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth (choose to make it vegetarian by using vegetable broth)
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- Optional: add a splash of heavy cream and basil for a richer flavour
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees
2. Place the halved tomatoes, garlic and onions on a baking sheet. Drizzle the olive oil and generously season with salt and pepper. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, or until caramelized.
3. Remove the tomatoes, garlic and onions and add them to a stock pot with the broth. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until the consistency is smooth.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Enjoy and, when you make this soup, don’t forget to share your pictures with us! #IRISrecipe
CARP members receive exceptional benefits at IRIS:
- $150 towards any complete pair of prescription eyewear (frame and lenses valued at $250 or more) or prescription sunglasses
- $50 towards the purchase of an annual supply of contact lenses
- $50 towards non-prescription sunglasses valued at $100 or more
- $500 towards vision correction procedures at our ophthalmology clinic in Laval, Quebec
- $25 towards the purchase of 3 or more bottles of Eye Omega Benefits 240 Gel Caps
Register with CARP and receive your IRIS Benefits. Visit www.carp.ca.