Why a River Cruise May Tick all of Your Vacation Boxes
We all have our wish lists when it comes to travel, and everyone has “must haves.” Let’s have a look at what an Avalon European river cruise can provide you – and how many of your “must have” boxes it might just tick!
1) Great food. No surprise there: with a wonderful combination of regional foods, international favourites, healthy options and homey comfort food, Avalon’s chefs make sure memorable dining is a part of every cruise. With “flex” dining you are not locked into a fixed time for dinner or even a venue as you have the choice of the main restaurant or the casual Bistro. Fun alfresco lunches are offered on the Sky Deck, and the crew will even provide you a picnic lunch to take ashore if you wish! Plus, wine and beer is included at lunch and dinner.
2) A chance to explore. Europe’s magnificent cities and charming medieval towns are a huge draw for Canadians. Imagine stepping off your floating hotel and finding yourself in the heart of Budapest or Amsterdam! Included in your Avalon cruise price is a host of sightseeing options at every port of call, including Classic (usually a walking tour in the company of a local guide); Discovery (a chance to connect with the locals such as meeting a wine producer or taking an art class) and Active (guided bike or jogging tour, a guided hike or even a canoe trip). Best of all: you don’t have to commit to what you want to do until that morning!
3) A chance to veg. Our lives at home are so active it’s no wonder we want to unplug when we vacation. We can’t think of a better way to chill out than by enjoying the view from one of Avalon’s signature Panorama Suites. These spacious 200 square feet cabins are known for their window walls, which open a full six feet wide to bring in the sights and sounds of Europe, and luxurious beds that face the window. Lay back and admire the passing view, whether it’s centuries’ old vineyards or sparkling skyscrapers. Or join your fellow passengers in the Club Lounge for quiet games, reading and relaxation as you feel the stress slide off.
4) A chance to dress down. While many Avalon passengers like to get a bit dressy for the first and last nights of their cruise, for the most part informal attire rules. Jeans and other casual clothes including comfy walking shoes will be just right during the day. And while we request no jeans and T-shirts in the main restaurant at night, if that is your fave way to dine you will be of course welcome in the casual Bistro!
5) A chance to lie on the beach. Sorry Avalon can’t help you there! But check out Avalon’s sister companies including Monograms, which has a great independent tour to Spain including a stop at Torremolinos’ famed beaches, and Globus which features escorted touring/cruising packages to the sunny Greek Islands.
Find out more about Avalon Waterways at avalonwaterways.ca; call 800-268-3636; or see your travel agent.