Cauliflower BBQ Wings
CARP RECOMMENDED PARTNER SPONSORED CONTENT
Cauliflower has been trending on social media lately. Making appearances on many blogs, Instagram and Facebook posts, as a substitute for pizza crust, rice and even chicken. Loved by many, this vegetable has really proven to be versatile and nutritious.
Cauliflower is part of the Brassicaceae family which includes other cruciferous veggies like, cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, kale and many others. The vegetables found in the cruciferous family have, along with loads of fibre and antioxidants, very high levels of vitamin C which can help maintain healthy eyes by protecting the blood vessels including those in the retina. Some studies have shown that people who consume vitamin C regularly may help reduce their risk of forming cataracts and macular degeneration.
If you are looking for a fun and tasty addition to your movie night snacks, try this yummy cauliflower recipe. When did tastes so good become good for you? You won’t be disappointed and your eyes will like it too!
¾ cup flour, you can use the flour you prefer; we use Kamut
1 cup water
A pinch of both garlic powder and paprika
A pinch of salt
Small head of cauliflower
1/3 cup of your favourite BBQ sauce, or why not make your own?!
1 tbsp. of oil
Dipping sauce of your choice
1. Preheat the oven at 400 degrees.
2. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
3. In a bowl mix together the flour, water spices and salt. You are looking for a pancake type of consistency.
4. Cut the cauliflower in florets and place them in the bowl with the mixture. Stir them to ensure that they are all completely coated with the mixture.
5. Place the florets on the baking sheet and bake them for 20 minutes.
6. In a bowl mix the bbq sauce with the oil and add the baked cauliflower. Make sure that they are all evenly coated with the sauce. You may at this point add a little bit of spicy sauce if you feel daring!
7. Put them back in the oven and bake them for 15 to 20 minutes or until they are caramelized.
CARP members receive exceptional benefits at IRIS:
- $150 towards any complete pair of prescription eyewear (frame and lenses valued at $250 or more) or prescription sunglasses
- $50 towards the purchase of an annual supply of contact lenses
- $50 towards non-prescription sunglasses valued at $100 or more
- $500 towards vision correction procedures at our ophthalmology clinic in Laval, Quebec
- $25 towards the purchase of 3 or more bottles of Eye Omega Benefits 240 Gel Caps
Register with CARP and receive your IRIS Benefits. Visit www.carp.ca.