Refreshing Mocktail Your Eyes Will Love
CARP RECOMMENDED PARTNER SPONSORED CONTENT
The last weeks of summer and early fall are time to enjoy sunny days, cooler evenings and one of our favourite harvests. Whether your preference is Ambrosia, Red Delicious, Macintosh, Spartan or Royal Gala, who doesn’t look forward to seeing the years fresh crop of Canadian apples in the produce stands and markets?
Eating healthy has plenty of advantages!
You’ve heard the expression “an apple a day keeps the doctor away”. While eating apples may not reduce your visits to the doctor, they do add valuable elements to your diet and support healthy eyes. This versatile fruit contains vitamin C and antioxidants as well as loads of soluble fibre which can help reduce your risk of high blood pressure and diabetes, two diseases that can affect your eyesight.
In honour of the apple, we thought we’d share a mocktail recipe with you. It’s nutritious, delicious, has a hint of spice and perfect to share with “the apple of your eye”.
1 cup water
½ cup sugar
¼ cup honey or agave
1 or 2 cinnamon sticks
1 tablespoon of fresh ginger, skin peeled and finely sliced
3 cups apple cider
1 ½ cups of ginger ale or ginger beer (for the extra spice, we suggest the ginger beer)
1 ½ cups of soda water
½ of the syrup
2 large apples, sliced, for garnish and to eat!
½ cup of cranberries, optional
1. In a saucepan on medium heat, boil the water, sugar and honey, stirring frequently. Simmer for a few minutes until the sugar and honey have dissolved.
2. Remove the pot from the heat and add the spices. Leave them to steep until the contents are at room temperature.
1. In a pitcher, mix the apple cider, ginger beer, soda water and syrup. Taste. Add syrup if it isn’t sweet enough or more soda water if it’s too sweet.
2. Add the sliced apples and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
3. Serve over ice, and enjoy!
Looking for a fun desert idea or just feeling a little decadent? Serve in a tall glass over a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a sparkling apple float.
CARP members receive exceptional benefits at IRIS:
- $150 towards any complete pair of prescription eyewear (frame and lenses valued at $250 or more) or prescription sunglasses
- $50 towards the purchase of an annual supply of contact lenses
- $50 towards non-prescription sunglasses valued at $100 or more
- $500 towards vision correction procedures at our ophthalmology clinic in Laval, Quebec
- $25 towards the purchase of 3 or more bottles of Eye Omega Benefits 240 Gel Caps
Register with CARP and receive your IRIS Benefits. Visit www.carp.ca.