Spicy Carrot Ginger Soup
CARP RECOMMENDED PARTNER SPONSORED CONTENT
Soup is the perfect meal for this time of year! Sipped from a mug or slurped from a bowl, soup will chase the chills away. Of course, we are always on the hunt for foods that feed your eyes as well as your soul, and that’s why we had to share this flavourful recipe.
The star ingredient, carrots, is synonymous with eye health. Carrots are filled with beta-carotene, which our body converts into vitamin A. This essential nutrient helps reduce the risk of cataracts and age-related macular degeneration. It reduces inflammation and helps to prevent infection.
Ginger, the other key ingredient in this soup, is a flavour bomb that delivers potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects that support your immune system. Ginger can help lower blood sugar levels and decrease heart disease risk factors.
Our Spicy Carrot Ginger Soup is chock full of goodness, simple to make and oh, so yummy!
Let’s get cooking.
• 1 teaspoons butter
• 4 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 ½ cups diced onion
• 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 tablespoon ginger, peeled and finely chopped
• 2 lbs carrots, peeled and chopped
• 4 cups chicken stock
• Salt & pepper, to taste
• 14 oz. coconut milk (optional but highly recommended)
1. Heat the butter and olive oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions, red pepper flakes, garlic, ginger and carrots. Cook for about 4 to 5 minutes until the carrots have softened but not brown.
2. Add the broth, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to a simmer until the carrots are thoroughly cooked and tender, about 20 minutes. If you choose to add coconut milk, add it while your soup simmers.
4. To make your soup silky delicious, use your immersion blender or countertop blender. If using a countertop blender to puree hot soup, work in small batches, filling the blender between 1/3 to 1/2 full. Remove or loosen the center cap and cover the lid with a folded dishcloth. Hold the dishcloth down while blending. Start blending at the lowest speed to avoid overspilling the hot liquid. Continue in batches until all of the soup is blended.
5. Reheat over low heat if the soup has cooled or you’re ready for seconds!
CARP members receive exceptional benefits at IRIS:
- $150 towards any complete pair of prescription eyewear (frame and lenses valued at $250 or more) or prescription sunglasses
- $50 towards the purchase of an annual supply of contact lenses
- $50 towards non-prescription sunglasses valued at $100 or more
- $500 towards vision correction procedures at our ophthalmology clinic in Laval, Quebec
- $25 towards the purchase of 3 or more bottles of Eye Omega Benefits 240 Gel Caps
Register with CARP and receive your IRIS Benefits. Visit www.carp.ca.