Always Hungry? 10 Healthy Apple Creations to Satisfy Your Sweet or Savoury Snack Cravings
February has arrived, and we’re back into the busy swing of things, while trying to keep our healthy eating plans interesting and satisfying. Let’s go back to basics to make your snacks healthy and easy. You know the old adage: “An apple a day keeps the doctor away.” Well, that’s actually some sound advice!
Here’s why: One medium apple (180 g) has only 72 calories, 19 carbohydrates, and is a source of fibre and Vitamin C. Canada’s Food Guide recommends 7 to 10 servings of fruits and vegetables per day, and a medium apple is a single fruit serving.
And what could be simpler and more wholesome than the apple? Washington Organic apples have arrived in-store, rounding out the winter supply of apples for Canadians. Organic Washington apples are available in every key variety, and each organic Washington apple is picked by hand.
Washington state is known as one of the premier apple-growing areas in the world. The nutrient-rich soil, arid climate, plentiful water and advanced growing practices provide the right ingredients for producing top-quality fruit.
These same elements also make Washington an ideal region to grow organic apples. This superior climate reduces the need for applications to control insects and pests.
Top 10 Quick and Delicious Apple Snack Ideas
1) Top baguette toasts with goat cheese and honey and a sprinkle of oregano for a quick sweet-tangy snack or appetizer.
2) Sliced apples paired with one or two of your favourite cheeses and a few nuts are an instant party-platter for one or two.
3) Sauté a chopped apple with butter, cinnamon and salt. Add to yogurt, drizzle with honey or maple syrup for a decadent post-workout snack.
4) Add nutrition and sweetness to a smoothie by adding half an apple, chopped. Throw in berries, milk, spinach, a banana, yogurt and a splash of vanilla and you’re fueled for your day.
5) Top a flatbread with BBQ sauce, shredded cheese, chicken, red onion and your other favourite toppings. Add a chopped apple, bake and enjoy.
6) Top a multigrain cracker with a slice of cheese and an apple. Take it to the next level by adding a dollop of yogurt.
7) Dip apple slices in tahini for the perfect quick protein pick-me-up.
8) Wrap apples in lettuce leaves for an instant healthy “sandwich”. Use leftover meat, almond butter or anything else you choose.
9) Transform your regular peanut butter sandwich by adding apple slices, honey and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
10) And of course—you can always go old-school and enjoy your apple whole, as the ultimate on-the-go snack!
Three Easy Tips for Selecting the Best Apples at Your Local Market
• Look for apples with shiny, not dull skin. Shiny apples are crisp and tasty!
• Pick apples that feel firm when you give them a gentle squeeze.
•Avoid apples that have bruises or punctures.
To Refrigerate or Not to Refrigerate?
Our growers recommend that you refrigerate your apples for best quality. Apples stay freshest when they’re kept in your refrigerator’s crisper.
How to Keep Sliced Apples from Browning
Apples naturally turn brown (oxidize) after they’re sliced. While apples that turn brown are safe to eat, they don’t look and taste their freshest. An easy way to prevent or slow oxidation is by dipping sliced apples into a solution that is one part citrus juice and three parts water.
Want more apple recipe ideas? Visit the Healthy Snacking page at waapple.org for great apple snacking ideas and so much more.