5 Tips to Choose Sunglasses
How do you shop for sunglasses? Some people try on every option while others know exactly what they are looking for, but basically when you see what you like and they look good on you it’s a done deal, right?
Not quite. Protecting your eyes from the sun’s rays is essential and your sunglasses are the best defence. Did you know you could sunburn your corneas? Or that overexposure to the UV rays can decrease your vision and cause eye conditions such as cataracts and macular degeneration?
Here are a few tips to make sure you choose a great pair of sunglasses that looks amazing and protect your eye health.
When shopping for new sunglasses, look for a sticker or label that indicates UV 400. This will ensure that the lenses have a protective film to keep your eyes safe from UV rays.
The Bigger, the Better!
Although the current trends are shifting towards narrower shapes, oversized sunglasses are still trendy and provide the protection your eyes need. In addition to that, they will shield the delicate skin around your eyes.
Sunglasses for Specific Activities
Are you a fan of golf? Enjoy boating? You’ve got options! Depending on the activities you do, you can select the lens colour accordingly. A brown lens is recommended for golf as it allows for a sharp contrast, and you won’t lose sight of the ball. On the water a red or pink lens heightens the contrast of blues and greens.
Polarized lenses filter light and help reduce glare that radiates from the water or asphalt on hot days. These lenses can alleviate eye strain and provide clearer vision.
It’s always best to purchase sunglasses from a trusted retailer. If you are unsure where to shop, your eye doctor can guide you. Choose sunglasses from a reputable source and you’ll get advice on the best lenses for your needs as well as a frame that fits your face perfectly.
Grab your sunglasses, put on a hat with a brim and don’t forget your sunscreen. You’re ready to enjoy the outdoors on the sunny side of the street.
Visit your IRIS Optometrist for a wide range of sunglasses to suit your needs. Shop now!
Did you know CARP members receive exclusive offers at IRIS?
- $150 IRIS Certificate: Redeemable towards the purchase of eyeglasses or sunglasses including a frame (such as custom tailored Topology frames) and a pair of fully coated prescription lenses (lens value minimum value of $250)
- $50 IRIS Certificate: Redeemable towards the purchase of a pair of fully coated progressive lenses for your current frames (minimum value of $250)
- $25 IRIS Certificate: Redeemable towards the purchase of a pair of fully coated single vision lenses for your current frames (minimum value of $250)
- $50 IRIS Certificate: Redeemable towards the purchase of non-prescription sunglasses valued at $100 or more.
- $50 IRIS Certificate: Redeemable towards the purchase of annual supply of contact lenses.
- $250 IRIS Certificate: Redeemable for laser eye surgery both eyes or $250 per eye for specific intraocular lens replacement. (Available at our Ophthalmology Clinic in Laval, Quebec only)
Register with CARP and receive your IRIS Benefits. Visit www.carp.ca.