Oven-Roasted Acorn Squash Fries
You aren’t the only one swapping fries for a salad. Don’t get us wrong, we love our salads but what if you don’t have to feel guilty indulging your cravings for crisp savoury fries?
Staying healthy includes cutting back on certain culprits, like hydrogenated fats and extra salt. We love recipes made with healthy alternatives that taste so good you won’t believe they are good for you. Introducing our oven-roasted acorn squash fries! This simple recipe is loaded with flavour and that’s not all.
Acorn squash is rich in nutrients like vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, fibre along with plant compounds including carotenoid antioxidants. These are seriously good things that support your body and vision:
- Boost your immune system
- Strengthen bones
- Reduce blood pressure
- Regulate blood sugar levels and cholesterol
- Improve digestive health
- Help prevent macular degeneration and cataracts
If these benefits haven’t convinced you, the yummy taste will!
1 acorn squash
Pinch of sea salt
1 – 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
¼ tsp of your favourite savoury spices like cumin, cayenne pepper, rosemary, and thyme, or make it sweet with cinnamon and a little maple syrup.
1. Preheat the oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Cut acorn squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Then, cut acorn squash into 1-inch wedges.
3. Toss the acorn squash wedges in olive oil, sea salt and chosen spices.
4. Put the acorn squash wedges on a baking sheet in a single layer.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes, flipping halfway until the acorn squash fries are tender and golden.
Did you know CARP members receive exclusive offers at IRIS?
- $150 IRIS Certificate: Redeemable towards the purchase of eyeglasses or sunglasses including a frame (such as custom tailored Topology frames) and a pair of fully coated prescription lenses (lens value minimum value of $250)
- $50 IRIS Certificate: Redeemable towards the purchase of a pair of fully coated progressive lenses for your current frames (minimum value of $250)
- $25 IRIS Certificate: Redeemable towards the purchase of a pair of fully coated single vision lenses for your current frames (minimum value of $250)
- $50 IRIS Certificate: Redeemable towards the purchase of non-prescription sunglasses valued at $100 or more.
- $50 IRIS Certificate: Redeemable towards the purchase of annual supply of contact lenses.
- $250 IRIS Certificate: Redeemable for laser eye surgery both eyes or $250 per eye for specific intraocular lens replacement. (Available at our Ophthalmology Clinic in Laval, Quebec only)
Register with CARP and receive your IRIS Benefits. Visit www.carp.ca.