Turkey, Cranberry and Cheddar Pocket Pies
(NC)—If you’re looking for an appetizer that is out of the ordinary for a memorable holiday gathering, turkey, cranberry and cheddar pocket pies are easy to create and a great conversation piece. They’re also a perfect solution for leftovers from your holiday meal. So delicious and full of flavour, you’ll want to make them again and again. More holiday tips, recipes and free printable stencils can be found at www.tenderflake.com.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
2 Tenderflake frozen deep dish pie shells
1/4 cup (50 mL) finely chopped leftover turkey
2 tbsp (30 mL) cranberry sauce
2 tbsp (30 mL) grated cheddar cheese
1 tbsp (15 mL) milk
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. Remove pie shells from freezer and allow to thaw at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Remove both pie shells from pie tin and place onto a clean, flat, lightly floured work surface. If cracks appear in pastry, press together and repair using fingers moistened with water.
4. Cut out six shapes from each pie shell using a (2-3/4-inch x 4-inch / 7 cm x 10 cm) cookie cutter. Set any leftover dough aside.
5. Combine turkey, cranberry sauce, cheese and pepper in a small bowl. Divide mixture evenly between 6 cut outs, mounting in centre and leaving a 1/4-inch (5 mm) border. Top with remaining cut outs. Gently press edges together, and crimp with a fork.
6. Brush tops lightly with milk and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until pastry is golden. Allow pies to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Tips: If dough gets too warm while preparing pies, refrigerate for at least 15 minutes before baking. Use any leftover dough to cut out shapes to decorate top. Brush back with milk or egg wash to affix to pie and bake as directed above.
Have you tried this recipe or have a cooking tip for other readers? Share it in the comments below.
More turkey ideas to goggle down
Plus see what else is cooking in our in recipes archive.