Your Daily Dish: Bean and Chicken Tostada Cups
Traditionally, tostadas are flat, deep-fried tortillas topped with refried beans, cheese and other fixings. tasty, but try balancing a greasy “open face” taco in one hand while not spilling your drink from the other…awkward. We won ’t let your fiesta flop – these tortilla cups mounded with Mexican-spiced chicken and creamy guacamole guarantee the only thing to hit the deck will be your Corona-crocked amigos.
Baked Tortilla Cups
4 (8-inch) tortilla wrappers
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp kosher salt
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 small white onion, quartered
2 large garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
3 fresh mint leaves
1 dried bay leaf
1 tsp kosher salt
Saucy Bean Mixture
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1 tsp ground cumin
1 cup ketchup
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp orange juice
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp sherry vinegar
1 tbsp chipotle chilis in adobo sauce, chopped
2 large ripe avocados, pitted and peeled
2 large Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1) Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a standard size muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
2) Brush both sides of the tortillas with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Cut each tortilla into 8 wedges. Working in batches, mold each tortilla triangle to fit the muffin cups and bake 7-8 minutes until crisp and golden. Remove from muffin tin and set aside.
3) For the chicken, in a large pot, combine chicken breasts, onion, garlic, parsley, mint, bay leaf and salt. Add 8 cups of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 10 minutes. Turn heat off and let sit covered an additional 10 minutes. Remove chicken from broth, allow to cool slightly and then shred chicken.
4) For the bean mixture, in a medium saucepan, heat oil over high heat. Add beans and cumin, stirring 1 minute. Add ketchup, honey, orange juice, soy sauce, sherry vinegar and chopped chipotles. Lower heat to medium and continue to cook until sauce is syrupy, about 5 minutes. Add shredded chicken, stir to coat and remove from heat.
5) For the guacamole, cut avocados in large chunks and mash in a medium bowl with a fork. Stir in tomatoes, lime juice, lemon juice, cumin, salt and cayenne pepper.
6) To assemble, top each baked tortilla cup with a heaping spoonful of the chicken and bean mixture followed by a dollop of guacamole. Serve immediately.
Yield: 32 tostadas
Bite Me Bit: “You’re not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.” -Dean Martin
Spice up your menu with more magnificent Mexican eats, such as these Easy & Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas.
Whether it’s cruising the aisles at the Dollar Store or experimenting at the stove, we believe that every day can be a holiday.