DISH UP: French Toast with Tropical Fruit
French toast is traditionally served with berries, but in this tropical version mango and banana are swapped in. Nutmeg and slices of whole wheat challah also put a twist on this traditional brunch staple.
French Toast with Tropical Fruit
4 large eggs
2 Tbsp milk
Dash of nutmeg
3 slices of stale whole wheat challah
1 whole mango sliced
3 slices of pineapple
1 banana sliced
Sprig of mint
3 small squares of butter for frying
1. Mix the milk with the eggs and nutmeg in a large measuring cup or a bowl.
2. Pour the mixture in a 9” dish that has sides.
3. Cut the whole wheat challah and place it in the egg mixture. Let it soak for 2-3 minutes on each side.
4. Put the butter in the pan and turn the heat to high. Transfer the bread from the dish to the pan and cook on both sides until the bread is golden brown about 3 minutes each side.
5. Plate your toast by putting the fruit on the side and putting the confection sugar (optional) and maple syrup on top. Add a sprig of mint to your fruit.
6. If you have leftover egg mixture, by all means do another piece of toast.