Cherry Almond Fudge
2 cups (500 mL) sugar
1 can (5 oz, 150 g) evaporated milk
1/2 cup (125 mL) butter
1 package (12 oz, 360 g) semisweet chocolate chips
1 jar (7 oz, 210 g) marshmallow crème
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
1 cup (250 mL) slivered almonds, toasted
3/4 cup (175 mL) dried Bing cherries, chopped
2/3 cup (150 mL) whole blanched almonds toasted, for garnish (optional)
– Butter 9-inch square baking pan; set aside.
– In 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, stir sugar, milk and butter until butter melts and mixture comes to a full boil. Continue to cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
– Remove from heat; gradually mix in chocolate chips until melted, then mix in marshmallow crème until melted and thoroughly blended. Mix in vanilla, slivered almonds and cherries to distribute evenly.
– With a rubber spatula, scrape into buttered pan and smooth the top. Decorate with whole almonds, spacing apart and pressing in lightly, so that fudge can be cut into squares between almonds. Allow to set in cool place (2 to 3 hours).
– Cut fudge into squares; arrange and cover with plastic wrap in gift packages, or place on serving dish. To store, wrap and refrigerate up to 1 week. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Nutritional analysis per piece; makes about 36 pieces.
Fibre: 2 g
Fat: 7 g
Cholesterol: 8 mg
Sat Fat: 4 g
Sodium: 9.5 mg
Mono Fat:3 g
Calcium: 21 mg
Poly Fat:1 g
Magnesium: 19 mg
Protein: 1.5 g
Potassium: 67 mg
Carb: 14 g
Vitamin E: 1 mg*
* total alpha-tocopherol equivalents
More holiday recipes can be found online at www.AlmondBoard.com.
For more holiday recipes and entertaining ideas, visit our Holiday section.