Red Velvet Cupcakes
(NC)—These Southern delights are famous for their red colour and are a sweet treat anytime of the year.
Yield: 24 cupcakes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 25 minutes
Cool Time: 30 minutes
• 2–1/2 cups all–purpose flour, sifted
• 1–1/2 cups sugar
• 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1–1/4 cups Mazola VegPlus (canola and vegetable oil blend)
• 1 cup buttermilk (at room temperature)
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• 1 bottle (30 mL) red food colouring
• 1 teaspoon white vinegar
• 2 teaspoons Spice Islands 100% pure bourbon vanilla extract
• Frosting, for spreading
• Sprinkles, coloured sugars, candies, fresh berries, chopped nuts, etc. for garnish
• Preheat oven to 350ºF/180ºC. Line 24 muffin cups with baking cups; set aside.
• Mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl of electric mixer.
• Whisk together oil, buttermilk, eggs, food colouring, vinegar and vanilla in medium bowl until thoroughly mixed. Add wet ingredients to dry, mixing well, until smooth and thoroughly combined. Distribute cake batter evenly into cups of prepared pans, filling each 2/3 full.
• Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool 8 to 10 minutes in pan. Remove cupcakes from pans; cool completely. Frost and decorate each cupcake as desired.
More baked goodies:
Plus see what else is cooking in our in recipes archive.