Spicy ribs for the grill
Ingredients for ribs
2 racks of baby back ribs
2/3 cups (158 ml) soy sauce
Juice and grated zest of one orange, lemon and lime
1 tbsp. (15 g) fresh ginger, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. (15 g) sweet paprika
2 tsp. (10 g) each of Szechuan peppercorns, coriander seeds, cumin seeds and mustard seeds
1/2 tsp. (3 g) cayenne pepper
2 tsp. (10 g) brown sugar
2 tsp. (10 g) salt
Method for ribs
1. Combine the soy sauce, citrus juice, zest, ginger and garlic in a blender and process to a smooth paste.
2. Spread the paste over both sides of the ribs and marinate in a refrigerator for 7 hours.
3. Combine the dry spices in a blender and grind to a fine powder.
4. Remove the ribs from the marinade and blot dry with paper towels.
5. Preheat oven to 200°F/93°C.
6. Rub spice mix on both sides of ribs.
7. Place the ribs in a pan with the orange juice and braise for 6 – 8 hours.
8. Preheat the grill to a medium/high heat.
9. Place the ribs on the grill and glaze with the roasted tomato ginger BBQ sauce.
Ingredients for roasted tomato ginger BBQ sauce
2 oz. (336 g) Ontario greenhouse ripe tomatoes, seeded
1 tbsp. (15 g) ginger, minced
Dash of lemon zest
1 hot chili, seeded
2 green onions, both white and green parts finely chopped
1 clove of minced garlic
2 tbsp. (30 ml) soy sauce
2 tbsp. (30 ml) sweet sauce
2 tbsp. (30 ml) honey
1 tbsp. (15 ml) rice vinegar
2 tsp. (10 ml) fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup (125 g) brown sugar
4 tbsp. (60 g) mustard
Method for the sauce:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F/149°C.
2. Arrange the Ontario greenhouse tomatoes on a baking sheet and sprinkle with brown sugar. Roast the tomatoes for 1.5 hours.
3. Put all ingredients in blender and process until smooth.
Flavour note: For added flavour, toast the spices over medium heat on a dry skillet until fragrant (about 3 minutes).
Nutritional Facts per serving (185 g) % = % Daily Value: Calories 600, Fat 43 g (66 %), Saturated Fat 17 g + Trans Fat 0.4 g (87 %), Cholesterol 180 mg, Sodium 1110 mg (46 %), Carbohydrate 2 g (1 %), Fibre 0 g (0 %), Sugars 1 g, Protein 47 g, Vit A (2 %), Vit C (10 %), Calcium (6 %), Iron (15 %).