Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 8 minutes
8 oz (250 g) sliced fresh Mushrooms
1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
1 cup (250 mL) pre-shredded carrot
2/3 cup (150 mL) hot or medium salsa
1/4 cup (50 mL) water
8 taco shells
3-4 lettuce leaves
Garnishes: pre-shredded cheddar cheese, finely diced tomato or sour cream (optional)
1. Place the pre-sliced mushrooms on a cutting board and cut slices crosswise into narrow strips. Put the oil in the skillet and place on stove or BBQ burner over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and carrot; cook and stir constantly with large heatproof spoon for 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned. Reduce heat to medium and stir in salsa and water.
2. Cover the skillet; lower heat to medium and cook about 4 –5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Carefully remove lid with oven mitts, and continue to cook mixture a few minutes until excess liquid has evaporated and mixture is thick. Turn off heat.
3. While mixture is cooking tear lettuce into bite size pieces or cut into strips with scissors.
4. Using the scissors open the taco package; invert a muffin pan on the counter and place the shells in between the cups (this helps them stand up and easier to fill)
5. Spoon about 3 tbsp (45 mL) filling into taco shells; top with lettuce and optional garnishes if you like.
Makes 8 tacos
Tip: Flat bottomed taco shells are easier to stand on their own to fill.
Variation: Substitute salsa made with corn and beans for regular salsa to add extra vitamins and fibre.
Per Serving: Calories: 95, Sodium: 194 mg, Protein: 2.3 g, Fat: 4.6 g, Carbohydrates: 11.9 g, Dietary Fibre: 1.8 g
For more delicious recipe ideas visit Mushrooms Canada at www.mushrooms.ca.