Roasted leg of lamb marinated in red chilli, citrus and thyme with cucumber relish
2 dried ancho chilies, stems removed and seeded
2 dried New Mexico chilies, stems removed and seeded
3 cups (750 ml) of orange juice
1/2 cup (125 ml) fresh lime juice
1 small red onion, coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tbsp. (30 g) fresh thyme, chopped
1 leg of lamb
Mild vegetable oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Method for roasted leg of lamb
1. Coarsely chop chilies. Place in blender with orange and lime juices. Blend until smooth. Add garlic, onion and thyme and blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. Place the lamb in a large dish. Pour the marinade over it and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Remove from the fridge 30 minutes before grilling.
3. Heat the grill to medium/high.
4. Remove the lamb from the marinade and season all over with salt and pepper. Sear the lamb until brown on the grill.
5. Preheat oven to 360°F/182°C.
6. Place lamb onto a vegetable oil greased baking pan.
7. For medium rare, cook your lamb until it reaches an internal temperature between140 – 150°F/60°C – 65°C on an instant read thermometer.
8. Remove lamb and let rest for 10 minutes, while resting brush the lamb with the drippings from the baking pan.
9. Slice the lamb into 4 portions and garnish with orange halves.
3 cups (750 g) Ontario greenhouse cucumbers, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 cup (250 g) Ontario greenhouse red peppers, seeded and chopped
1 cup (250 g) green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 cup (250 g) celery, chopped
1/2 cup (125 g) onion, chopped
1/4 cup (63 g) kosher salt
1/4 cup (63 g) white sugar
1 cup (250 ml) white vinegar
1 tsp. (5 g) mustard seeds
1 tsp. (5 g) celery seeds
Method for cucumber relish
1. Put all the vegetables into a mixing bowl. Sprinkle the salt over the vegetables, mix and cover for 4 hours.
2. Rinse vegetables well after 4 hours and press out excess moisture.
3. Combine the rest of the ingredients into a large pot. Mix well and bring to a boil.
4. Add vegetables and boil gently for 10 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and let cool before serving.
Nutritional Facts per serving (566 g): Calories 600, Fat 19 g (29 %), Saturated Fat 7 g + Trans Fat 0 g (35 %), Cholesterol 215 mg, Sodium 500 mg (21 %), Carbohydrate 32 g (11 %), Fibre 4 g (16 %), Sugars 23 g, Protein 71 g, Vit A (25 %), Vit C (190 %), Calcium (8 %), Iron (45 %).
(% = % Daily Value)