Tasty Quinoa Black Bean Burger
The most amazing part about this quinoa black bean burger is the versatility of it. It is a great, protein-packed alternative that is suitable for even the most difficult of eaters. (Assuming they aren’t allergic to quinoa or black beans!)
By using quinoa, anyone who is celiac or gluten intolerant can enjoy this patty over a lettuce leaf or on a gluten-free bun. By also containing no meat, and if you omit the egg, this patty is suitable for all vegan and vegetarian diets. So for your next barbecue this is a nice burger to have stashed away in case of even the most particular eater!
*For a refreshing and healthy side salad look at this recipe
1 cup Quinoa
1 can Black Beans
Spanish Onion — Diced
1 Egg (optional)
1. Mix together 1 cup of Vegetable stock and 1 Cup of water, bring to a boil.
2. Once boiling, add quinoa, reduce to simmer and cover for 15 mins.
3. While quinoa is cooking, rinse black beans and add to a bowl. Add chopped onion, garlic, and seasoning, mash all together. You still want to be left with some nice chunks of black beans.
4. Once quinoa is cooked, put about 1 cup of cooked quinoa into the mixture and stir up. Taste and add any additional flavour as desired.
5. Optional step of adding a beaten egg to the mixture to help bond the patty’s if it’s looking a bit loose. As a vegan alternative, olive oil is a good bonder.
6. Take small squares of cellophane, scoop a spoonful of the mixture and form into a patty, wrap with cellophane and freeze.
When cooking these, it’s usually better to use a panini press or George Forman grill. If cooking on a barbecue be sure to spray the grill to help stop breaks, or cover frozen burger in eggwash and panko crumbs!