What Causes a Bruise?
When small blood vessels under the surface of the skin tear or rupture, bruises (also known as contusions) develop. The black-and-blue color is caused by blood from damaged blood vessels deep beneath the skin that collects near the surface. Bruises usually heal within 2 to 4 weeks.
Interesting Bruise Facts:
• A leg bruise usually takes longer to heal than a bruise on the face or arms.
• Women bruise more easily than men (especially on the buttocks, thighs, and upper arms.
• Older adults often bruise more easily from minor injuries because their skin is less flexible and thinner leading to blood vessels breaking more easily.
• Bruising easily sometimes runs in families.
Bruise Healing Tips:
If your bruise does not require an evaluation by a health professional, you may be able to use home treatment to help relieve pain, swelling, discoloration and stiffness. A good first step is to follow the R.I.C.E. principle: Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. Then don’t forget to apply natural source bruise fighting ingredients: Arnica, Witch Hazel and Menthol. Did you know that WebMD® recommends Arnica and Witch Hazel as natural ingredients for home treatment of bruises?
How the Natural Ingredients – Arnica, Witch Hazel and Menthol – Work:
• The leaves of the arnica plant, contain sesquiterpene lactones, which may assist in healing of bruises by: decreasing swelling, speeding blood reabsorption and decreasing pain.
• The leaves of the witch hazel plant, has tannins that give it its astringent properties. It eases bruising by tightening stretched veins and restoring blood vessel tone.
• Menthol , derived from peppermint oil, has local anaesthetic and counterirritant qualities. It can provide soothing cooling relief to bruised areas.
Have you tried Zax’s Original Bruise Cream®?
It’s a unique blend of 3 natural ingredients: Arnica, Witch Hazel and Menthol in a soothing cream, that works better than anything we have tried for bruising. It has been pharmacist developed specifically with bruises in mind. This Canadian made product is the only one on the market that contains these 3 proven and effective ingredients.
Who is it For? How do I use it?
Zax’s Original Bruise Cream® is ideal for those who are active or bruise easily or frequently (safe for ages 2+). It is complementary to treatment with rest, elevation, ice and compression to the area and a perfect addition to any gym bag, purse or medicine cabinet! For best results, massage gently onto affected area, 3 times daily, as soon as bruise-related injury occurs. Continue using until bruise disappears, up to a maximum of 7 days.
Any Cautions to be Aware of?
This product is for external use only and should not be used on broken skin or open wounds or if allergic to the daisy (flower) family. Please consult with your doctor prior to use if under 2 years old, if pregnant or breast-feeding, or if taking blood thinning medication (anticoagulants). Discontinue use and consult your doctor if rash or irritation occurs, if condition worsens or if symptoms persist for more than 7 days. Do not massage bruise if it causes pain.
Check with your Doctor if a bruise lasts longer than 4 weeks, signs of infection develop, symptoms become more severe or frequent, or if new symptoms develop.
Zax’s Original Bruise Cream® (MSRP $17.99) is available at most Rexall® and Pharmaplus® stores across Canada and at leading Natural Health stores. Click here to access our Rexall/PharmaPLus store list by Province or visit www.zaxhealth.com for more information about bruising and download a FREE brochure (middle of the the “Bruise Cream” Page).
Zax’s Original Bruise Cream® is a registered trademark of Zax Healthcare Inc.