Fun ways to help stay hydrated
During hot and humid temperatures, vigorous outdoor activities and insufficient fluid intake can lead to fatigue, poor mental focus, slowed metabolic rate and increased toxicity in the body. But the same risk of dehydrating exists during winter months, when fluid is lost through expiration (breathing), dry air and artificial heating.
Dehydration is chronic and epidemic amongst many Canadians. If you are relying on your sensation of thirst to give you the cue to drink then you are already fighting a losing battle. By the time your brain registers the signal that you are thirsty, you’re already dehydrated. In fact, the thirst signal is often so weak in Zoomers that it can be confused in the brain for hunger, with dehydration often leading to over-eating.
As a Nutritionist I am often asked, “How much water should I drink? How much is too much? Water is so boring, what can I do to jazz it up?” Below are some of my favourite tips for healthy hydration:
• Divide your body weight in pounds by two and that will tell you how many ounces of water to aim for on an average day.
• Add extra fluids with vigorous physical activity as fluids are lost with increased respiration and perspiration.
• Drink clear fluids like water with lemon, lime, cucumber slices or some fresh fruit cut and soaking in a pitcher. This adds flavour to your water without adding extra sugar.
• Choose a good quality, pure fruit juice (NOT fruit drink, fruit punch or fruit cocktail) and add a ¼ cup to ¾ cups of water.
• For a homemade electrolyte drink, combine equal amounts pure fruit juice (grape works well) and water with ¼ teaspoon sea salt.
• Fruit or mint flavoured herbal teas hot, or over ice, are delicious and naturally decaffeinated. Add Stevia, Xylitol or Yacon powder as a low-calorie, low-glycemic, all-natural sweetener.
• Snack on high water content fruit and veggies like cucumber, celery, blueberries and cherries.
• Eat Chia seeds, as they have the ability to absorb more than 12 times their weight in water. This ability to hold water can prolong hydration and retain electrolytes in body fluids, especially during exertion.
• Limit caffeine, alcohol and excess sugar, as these can have a diuretic effect in the body.
• Blend fruit with ice and water and make a Supermeal smoothie!
Zwell Supermeal is a whole-food meal replacement specially formulated for the nutritional needs of men and women age 45+. Nutrient-rich whole food, with all natural and organic ingredients, is the corner stone of a good breakfast, add to that the fact that Supermeal is also a complete multi-vitamin and mineral supplement, and its value and convenience continue to rise.
Introducing Bioenergy Ribose. An added benefit, unique to Zwell Supermeal, is the proven energy enhancing benefits from a key ingredient, Bioenergy Ribose. Ribose is a tiny molecule which acts as “energy currency” in the body. When Ribose becomes depleted through advanced age or energy expenditure, the result is feeling zapped of energy. You feel drained because, at a cellular level, you are drained of the building blocks your body needs to make energy, Ribose.
Clinical trials are demonstrating that simple daily supplementation with Bioenergy Ribose can provide increased energy in the Zoomer population. By “topping up” your body’s natural reserves of Ribose at breakfast, you are essentially providing every cell of your body, including the heart, lungs and muscle tissue, with extra energy to perform whatever activity you like throughout your day – whether golfing, gardening, or chasing grandkids around.
Unique to Supermeal. Zwell Supermeal is the ONLY powdered whole-food supplement available in Canada that contains Bioenergy Ribose. After a two week clinical trial with daily supplementation of patented Bioenergy Ribose, Zoomers reported greater feelings of vitality and demonstrated improved exercise recovery and better aerobic fitness, meaning they were able to engage in more activity while using less oxygen and delaying fatigue.
Zwell Supermeal is great tasting and convenient nutrition, formulated specifically for those 45+ to help –
Supermeal is, indeed, super nutrition for Zoomers. Loaded with berries, chia seeds and fibre, drinking Supermeal everyday is a super way to stay hydrated and nourished any time of year.
This article is brought to you by Zwell.ca – Live Better Longer. Visit our website for more information –
• For more information and free video on whole food meal replacement
• SAVE on multipacks of great Zwell products
or call 1-877-ZWELL-CA (993-5522).
Zwell Asks: Where can you get Natural Health Information from trusted health experts?
Finally! Clear – Concise – Science-Based Information On How to Maintain Better Health Through Natural Remedies. Sign-Up for this FREE newsletter !