Your Daily Dish: Garlic Toast Meatball Patty Melt
What do you get when you cross a burger, meatball and grilled cheese sandwich? Why, a delicious and satisfying Meatball Patty Melt, of course. Shaped into a patty, meatballs are cooked up on a griddle and nestled between slices of crisp garlic bread, homemade balsamic tomato sauce and gooey provolone cheese. To say that this sandwich is flavorful wouldn’t be doing it justice – every bite is an explosion of deliciousness.
Chunky Tomato Sauce
2 tsp olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
¼ cup red wine
1 (28oz) San Marzano whole tomatoes
¾ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
¼ tsp sugar
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
2 fresh basil leaves, torn
1 lb lean ground beef
1 lb ground veal
1½ cups Japanese panko breadcrumbs
¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp chopped flat leaf Italian parsley
1 tsp dried oregano
1 small garlic clove, minced
1 tsp kosher salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
½ cup water
16 slices Sourdough or Rye bread
8 tbsp garlic butter, softened
Kosher salt, to sprinkle on griddle
8 slices provolone cheese
1) For the tomato sauce, in a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, stirring frequently until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add red wine and cook, stirring until almost completely absorbed, 1-2 minutes. Add tomatoes and break up with a wooden spoon to create small chunks. Season with salt, pepper and sugar and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add balsamic vinegar and basil, continuing to simmer 5 minutes more. Remove from heat and set aside.
2) For the meatball patties, in a large bowl, combine ground beef and veal. Add panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, eggs, parsley, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix to combine all ingredients. Add water and mix until incorporated. Shape meat mixture into 8 patties roughly the size of your bread slices.
3) Spread garlic butter over bread slices, on both sides. Toast both sides on a griddle over medium-low heat, until golden. Set aside.
4) Preheat broiler to high.
5) Place flat bottom griddle over medium-high heat and generously sprinkle with kosher salt. This will help create a nice crust on your patty. Grill patties until cooked to desired doneness, about 3 ½ minutes per side depending on thickness.
6) To assemble, place 2 tbsp of tomato sauce on a slice of garlic toast. Place patty over the sauce and add 2 tbsp more tomato sauce. Place a slice of cheese over the sauce and place under the broiler to melt the cheese. Watch carefully because it will burn quickly. Top with another garlic bread slice and serve immediately. Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
Yield: 8 sandwiches
Bite Me Bit: “Enjoy every sandwich.”- Warren Zevon
We’re mad for meatballs – try these classic Meatballs in Marinara Sauce.
Whether it’s cruising the aisles at the Dollar Store or experimenting at the stove, we believe that every day can be a holiday.