Your Daily Dish: Moist Lemon Loaf with Lemon Glaze
Take a big inhale. Yes, that’s right. In aromatherapy, lemon lifts your mood and calms your stress. So let’s take this balm of serenity out of the realm of wind chimes and Enya tunes and onto a plate – one bite of this zesty lemon loaf, drizzled with tart lemon glaze, will have you downright chilled.
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
Zest of 1 lemon
1/8 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup sugar
1) Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9×5-inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2) In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3) In an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until incorporated. On low speed, alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk, ending with the flour. Stir in lemon zest.
4) Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-48 minutes or until golden around the edges and just cooked through. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan.
5) For the glaze, in a small bowl, stir together lemon juice and sugar. Gently pierce the top of the loaf several times with a fork and pour glaze over.
Yield: 12-14 slices
Bite Me Bit: “We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons.” -Alfred E. Neuman
If life hands you extra lemons, why not make this Perfect Lemon Meringue Pie.
Whether it’s cruising the aisles at the Dollar Store or experimenting at the stove, we believe that every day can be a holiday.