Your Daily Dish: Apple Layer Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Looking for the perfect way to impress with apples?
This Layered Apple Cake is not only chock full of apple chunks and flavored with cinnamon and apple butter, but it’s also iced with a creamy, lemon-infused cream cheese icing. How ’bout them apples?
2½ cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp kosher salt
3 cups peeled and diced Granny Smith apples
3/4 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup apple butter (apple sauce can be substituted)
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting
1 (8oz/250g) package cream cheese, softened
½ cup butter, softened
Zest of 1 lemon
5 cups icing sugar
1) Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat two 9-inch round cake pans with non-stick cooking spray.
2) For the cake, in a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add diced apples and set aside.
3) In a medium bowl, whisk melted butter, sugar, brown sugar, apple butter, eggs, and vanilla. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add butter/sugar mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon just until the flour disappears and all ingredients are combined. Divide batter between the 2 baking pans. Bake 15-20 minutes until golden on top and cooked through. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing and allow to cool completely on wire racks before icing.
4) For the frosting, in an electric mixer, combine cream cheese, butter and lemon zest. Mix at medium speed until combined and smooth, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl during mixing. On low speed, gradually add icing sugar and mix until sugar is blended and you have a smooth icing.
5) To frost the cake, place 1 layer on a serving plate and spread with 1 cup of frosting. Top with remaining cake layer and spread remaining frosting over the top and sides of the cake. Refrigerate for 1 hour to allow the icing to set.
Bite Me Bit: “I want to be the girl with the most cake.”- Courtney Love
Turn this apple cake into a perfect portable snack with these super moist Apple, Cinnamon & Streusel Muffins.
Whether it’s cruising the aisles at the Dollar Store or experimenting at the stove, we believe that every day can be a holiday.
More on EverythingZoomer.com