Your Daily Dish: Mini Boston Cream Pies
When is a pie not a pie? When it’s little cakes, as in these delicious mini Boston Cream Pies.
Like the classic dessert, moist vanilla cake is layered with a creamy pudding filling and topped with a smooth chocolate ganache. This terrific trio of textures and flavors combine to serve up Boston in every bite.
3½ cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1 cup butter, room temperature
2½ cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1½ cups whole milk
6 egg yolks
½ cup sugar
¼ cup flour
2 cups whole milk, warmed
¼ cup butter, cut into pieces
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups Cool Whip Whipped Topping
4oz semi sweet chocolate
½ cup heavy cream
2 tbsp corn syrup
1) For the vanilla cake, preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 13×9-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2) Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium speed, until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Mix in vanilla extract. Alternate adding flour mixture and milk on low speed, beginning and ending with the flour. Mix just until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 40-42 minutes, until slightly golden on top and cooked through. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing. Cool completely before cutting and assembling.
3) For the pudding, using a small saucepan, whisk egg yolks and sugar off the heat until very smooth. Whisk in flour. Whisking constantly, add warm milk until fully incorporated. Place saucepan over medium-high heat, whisking vigorously until bubbles burst on the surface. Continue whisking for 1-2 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and whisk in butter and vanilla. Cool to room temperature. Once cool, fold in Cool Whip and set aside.
4) For the chocolate ganache, place chocolate in a medium bowl. Place cream and corn syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Pour over chocolate and stir until smooth. Let sit 10 minutes before assembling.
5) To assemble, place a spoonful of pudding on the bottom of each individual 3-inch round glass serving dishes or bowls. From the cake, cut out circles the same size as your serving dish. Cut each circle into 4 layers. Place one layer on top of the pudding. Spoon pudding over the cake and top with a spoonful of chocolate ganache. Repeat with cake, then pudding and followed with chocolate ganache. Finish with a third layer of cake and top with chocolate ganache. Repeat in remaining dishes. Can be refrigerated for a few hours before serving.
Bite Me Bit: “My victory in Boston was as sweet as the cream pie from the city it’s named after.” -Will Ferrell, ‘Blades of Glory’
For another tasty treat in a small package, whip up these crowd-pleasing, toffee-filled Mini Heath Bar Cheesecakes.
Whether it’s cruising the aisles at the Dollar Store or experimenting at the stove, we believe that every day can be a holiday.
More on EverythingZoomer.com