Your Daily Dish: Rainbow Cake
A perfectly festive cake for your celebration! With this easy-to-follow recipe for a Rainbow Cake, you too can ice and pipe like a pro.
1 cup vegetable shortening
2 ½ cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
½ tsp kosher salt
1 ½ cups buttermilk
Food coloring, green, pink, yellow, blue
1 cups butter
½ cup vegetable shortening
5 cups icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp whole milk
Assorted Skittles to decorate
1. Preheat oven to 350f. Coat 4 round 8-inch baking pans with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Place parchment paper along the bottom of each for easy removal. For the cake, using an electric mixer, cream together vegetable shortening and sugar for 2 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time and add vanilla extract. Continue to beat for 2 minutes more.
3. Add flour, baking soda, salt and buttermilk. Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. Divide batter evenly among 4 small bowls. Using food colors, tint batter green, pink, yellow and blue. Pour batter into cake pans.
4. Bake 18-22 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool completely before assembling. For the frosting, using an electric mixer, cream together butter and shortening. Add icing sugar on low speed until well combined. Add vanilla extract and milk, mix until smooth and desired consistency.
5. Place the green cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with ¾ cup frosting. Place pink layer on top and spread ¾ cup frosting over. Place yellow layer and ¾ cup frosting. Top with blue layer and spread a light coat of frosting on top and sides of the layer cake to seal in the crumbs.
6. Use remaining frosting to cover completely. Decorate the sides of the cake with corresponding skittle colors and cover the top with scattered skittles.
Another campfire-free way to enjoy the toasted marshmallow flavor, dig in to our Indoor S’More Pudding Dessert.
Whether it’s cruising the aisles at the Dollar Store or experimenting at the stove, we believe that every day can be a holiday.