DISH UP: Curried Chicken with Potatoes and Carrots
There’s no reason to fear curried dishes. Fragrant curry powder is a simple way to give a jolt to some of our favourite winter stews and soups. Here, Charmaine Lord shows us how to cook up a comforting plate of flavourful curried chicken with potatoes and carrots.
- 4 drum sticks
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 2 large Yukon gold potatoes
- 4 carrots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 3 scallions
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp hot curry powder plus 1 tsp extra (optional)
1. Marinate the chicken in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the curry powder, salt, garlic, bay leaves and thyme. Rub the spice mixture over the chicken. Cover with plastic wrap and leave in the refrigerator over night.
2. The next day, saute the onions and the remaining garlic. Add the chicken and brown on both sides 5-10 minutes then add the potatoes and carrots and cook for another 10 minutes before adding the chopped tomatoes and the remaining ingredients.
3. Preheat the oven to 350F for 15 minutes. While the overn is heating cover the pot and let simmer for 15 minutes. If the pot looks dry add 1/2 cup of water and put the pot uncovered in the oven for another 30-40 minutes. Take out and serve warm.