DISH UP – Island Caponata
Delicious served hot or cold, this classic Italian vegetable dish takes on a distinctly island flavour.
Preparation: 1 hour
- 1 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, two in slivers and two diced and set aside separately
- 4 scallion, two sliced approximately 1-inch pieces and two diced
- 1 small red onion or medium shallot, cut into slivers
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaves, washed, dried and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mint leaves, washed, dried and chopped
- 2 large eggplant or 5 small Italian eggplant, cut in 1-inch squares
- 3 – 4 zucchini, cut in 1-inch rounds then halved
- 2 turned plantain (solid but not fully ripened), cut in 1-inch rounds then halved
- 1 red, yellow or orange bell pepper, seeded and diced (approximately 1⁄4-inch)
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisins or currants
- 1 thumb ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. orange blossom honey
- zest of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 ̊F.
2. Prepare an oven tray with foil or use a nonstick pan.
3. Mix in a bowl 2/3 cup oil, 1⁄4 cup cilantro, 1⁄4 cup mint leaves, the slivers of garlic
and diced scallion, and salt and black pepper.
4.Place eggplant, zucchini andplantain in a large bowl and mix in well the herb oil mixture making sure to
cover all of the vegetables, and spread out on the baking tray.
5. Place in hot oven for approximately 20 -30 minutes, but do not over cook.
6. Once the vegetables have roasted, place the remaining olive oil in a large skillet
at medium heat and lightly sauté the diced garlic and 1-inch pieces of scallion,
adding in the raisins, slivers of red onion or shallot and the bell pepper. Then
add in the roasted vegetables, gently stirring to blend together. Add the juice of
the grated ginger, honey and vinegar. Stir for a few more minutes.
7. Finally, before serving, gently mix in the remaining chopped cilantro and mint leaves as
well as the lime zest. Add salt and pepper if necessary.