Recipes: 5 Scrumptious Sandwiches
Some days there’s nothing like a good sandwich! Here, five fabulous recipes.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1(28oz) can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium eggplants, cut into 30 (½-inch thick) slices
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
10 crusty sandwich buns
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1) For the tomato sauce, in a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add onion, stirring 2-3 minutes until tender. Stir in garlic and tomato paste and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add diced tomatoes and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and using a handheld immersion blender, process slightly, leaving the sauce somewhat chunky. Season with sugar, salt and pepper.
2) For the eggplant, place the slices in a large strainer, sprinkle with 1 tbsp of salt, toss to coat and let sit for 30 minutes. Rinse the eggplant and dry well with paper towel.
3) Preheat oven to 425ºF and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Place flour, salt and pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Add eggplant slices and toss to coat. Place eggs in a medium bowl. In a large bowl, combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Dip each slice of eggplant in the eggs and then in the breadcrumb mixture, coating both sides well. Place in a single layer on prepared baking sheets and spray the tops with non-stick cooking spray. Bake 12-13 minutes, flip the slices and continue baking for 12-13 minutes more, until eggplant is golden. Remove from oven and set broiler to high.
Indian Style Grilled Cheese
Everyone’s favourite, the classic grilled cheese, made even more irresistible by combining aged cheddar with Patak’s naan bread.
- 1 ½ tsp (7 mL) olive oil
- 1 package (200 g) Patak’s plain naan bread
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) Patak’s sweet mango chutney
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped mint
- 1 cup (250 mL) coarsely grated old white cheddar cheese
1) Preheat a panini press or set a cast iron pan over medium heat.
2) Brush olive oil on one side of each naan bread and arrange oiled side down on work surface. Spread mango chutney on one naan; scatter mint on top, followed by a layer of cheese. Cover with remaining naan bread, oiled side up. Cut sandwich in half crosswise.
Grilled Vegetable Sandwich with Lemon Walnut Aioli
Lemon Walnut Aioli
1 cup California walnuts, toasted 250 mL
2 tbsp Dijon mustard 30 mL
2 tbsp tahini 30 mL
2 tbsp mayonnaise 30 mL
1 lemon, juiced
Grilled Vegetable Sandwich
1 medium zucchini, sliced 1/2-inch (1 cm) coins
1 small eggplant, sliced 1/2-inch (1 cm)
1 orange pepper, sliced in strips
4 small tomatoes, sliced in half
1 onion, sliced 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick
4 tbsp olive oil, divided 60 mL
salt and pepper
8 slices of sourdough bread
1 clove garlic
handful basil leaves, chiffonade (optional) handful
In a food processor, add walnuts, Dijon, tahini, mayonnaise and lemon juice; pulse into a chunky paste. Set aside.
Grilled Vegetable Sandwich:
In a large bowl, toss zucchini, eggplant, pepper, tomatoes and onion with 2 tbsp (30 mL) of olive oil, salt and pepper and grill to desired doneness.
Brush bread with remaining oil and lightly grill on both sides. Rub each slice of bread gently with garlic.
Crispy Fish Sandwich with Tartar Sauce
Fish is healthy, right? Not when it’s battered and fried, and that’s why we’ve come up with this baked version, a super easy cornmeal crusted cod sandwich, topped with crunchy lettuce and creamy tartar sauce.
Cornmeal Crusted Cod
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup milk
6 (6oz) cod fillets
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickle
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp Dijon mustard
Pinch of cayenne pepper
6 hamburger buns
Shredded iceberg lettuce
Grilled Chicken Club
This grilled chicken club sandwich is one very mouthwatering reason to get fired up about BBQ season. A soaring, sky-high sandwich, toasted rye bread is slathered in homemade Russian dressing and layered with juicy, lime-marinated grilled chicken, creamy avocado, ripe tomatoes and crispy bacon.
½ cup fresh lime juice
½ cup chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
¼ cup Dijon mustard
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp lime zest
½ tsp kosher salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
Creamy Russian Dressing
½ cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp white vinegar
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp sweet green relish
¼ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper