RECIPE: Hominy Fritters with Bacon Thyme Dipping Sauce
A modern take on hush puppies, these fritters get their rich flavour from whole kernels of hominy and savoury thyme. Pair with a dipping sauce of bacon, thyme, hot pepper jelly and cider vinegar.
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 35 min
Makes: 15 servings
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 can (15 oz) white hominy, drained, rinsed well and dried
- ½ cup (125 mL) hot pepper jelly
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) McCormick Gourmet Thyme Leaves, divided
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) cornmeal
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) flour
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Club House Sea Salt Grinder
- 3/4 tsp (3 mL) McCormick Gourmet Garlic Powder
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) thinly sliced green onions
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) milk
- Vegetable oil, for frying
1. Cook bacon in large skillet on medium heat until crisp. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Add hominy to skillet with bacon drippings; sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pan; set aside.
2. Place pepper jelly, vinegar, ½ tsp (2 mL) thyme and 3 slices cooked bacon in small food processor or blender container; cover. Process on high until well blended and smooth; set aside. Crumble remaining bacon slices; set aside.
3. Mix cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, sea salt, garlic powder and remaining 1 tsp (5 mL) thyme in large bowl. Add green onions, remaining crumbled bacon, eggs and milk; stir until just blended. Gently stir in hominy. Batter will be lumpy; do not over stir.
4. Pour about 2-in (5 cm) oil into large heavy saucepan. Heat to 350ºF (180°C) on medium heat. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry 4 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Skim and remove any cooked fritter crumbs between batches. Drain on paper towels. Serve fritters with Bacon Thyme Dipping Sauce.
- Hominy is dried corn which has been soaked in lime water to remove the hulls and soften the kernels. Canned hominy is available in the canned vegetables, Latin aisles of supermarkets or online.