Sunday Brunch: Montecito
| February 28th, 2016
Recently we had the brunch buffet at Montecito, in downtown Toronto, and were blown away. We got the chance to ask Chef Matt Robertson about some of the delicious recipes that we could make at home. See them below!
Frittata recipe ( 1 large cast iron pan)
10 whole eggs
250g caramelized onions
1 whole cooked potato
1 red chilli
300g mix wild mushrooms
1/4 bunch parsley
1) Get all your vegetables and other ingredients chopped up (to preference) and set aside (except the eggs)
2) Mix all the eggs in a separate bowl, and then add your salt and pepper.
3) Preheat your oven to highest setting
4) Set your cast iron pan on a hot stove top to get get it nice and hot – you want it nice and smokey before adding the eggs, and then the filling for the frittata (while still on the stovetop).
5) Then place the whole pan in the oven, and it should take around 10–15 minutes until the top is nice and golden.
6) Let cool on a rack and you can add more toppings like sour cream and Parmesan cheese.
Kale Salad with Anchovy Vinaigrette & Pecorino
1 pound fresh kale, baby if possible or the youngest dinosaur type
2 salt cured anchovies, rinsed, deboned & fileted
3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
12 leaves of basil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Juice of one lemon
3oz extra virgin olive oil
1 oz grated pecorino romano cheese
1. Wash the and julienne the kale. Dry kale in a salad spinner. Place in a salad bowl.
2. On a cutting board mash together the basil, anchovies and garlic. Add the mustard and lemon juice and blend well. Drizzle in the olive oil and combine well.
3. Pour dressing over the kale, enough to coat the leaves well. Sprinkle with cheese; toss together and serve.
6 oz melted butter
1cup sour cream
3 cups pastry flour
3 cups polenta
2 Tbsp 1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp salt
5 tbsp sugar
2.5 cups cheddar
4 fine diced jalapenos
1 cup carmalized Onion
0.5 cup corn
1. Whisk together all of the wet ingredients.
2. Sift all of the dry ingredients together.
3 Slowly add all of the sifted dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and ddd cheese, onion, and jalapeños.
4 Pour into a hot caste iron with 1 tbsp extra butter melted in each.
5 Bake at 350′ for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean