Recipe: Simple Lobster Sandwich
What could be better than a crisp lobster sandwich fresh off the Maine coast? It’s a luxury few of us can afford, but we can give ourselves a treat every now and then.
4 pieces of good quality bacon
¼ cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp. ranch dressing
¼ tsp. Tabasco or other hot sauce
½ tbsp. fresh-squeezed lemon juice
1 lb. cooked lobster meat (or backfin lump crab meat), chopped
½ cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
½ cup celery, diced
3 tbsp. chives or green onions, diced
1 cup of lettuce, shredded fine
1 cup of cherry tomatoes, diced
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
4 large potato flour hotdog buns or pieces of thick Texas toast
4 Tbsp. butter
1. Cook the bacon and place on paper towel to drain.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, ranch dressing, hot sauce, and lemon juice.
3. Place the mayonnaise mixture in a larger bowl and toss with the lobster (or crab) meat, the cucumber, the celery, and the chives. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Butter the bread on the inside and outside and cook on a griddle until toasted on both sides.
5. Place one piece of bacon and a quarter of the lettuce and a quarter of the diced tomatoes in each bun. Then fill with the lobster (or crab) mixture.
Serve with old-fashioned potato chips. And, while you’re at it, indulge in a little wine. I like Austrian Grüner Veltliner for this purpose or Domäne Wachau, which is really nice and inexpensive.