Recipe: Greek Macaroni & Cheese
A cheesy staple at your table, this Greek Mac & Cheese topped with a Feta crumble, will be sure to pull you in for seconds!
10 oz fresh baby spinach
¼ cup butter
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp dried oregano
¼ cup flour
4 cups whole milk
3 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
1 cup crumbled Feta cheese
¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
¼ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 lb elbow pasta
1½ cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
2 tbsp melted butter
¾ cup crumbled Feta cheese
Pinch kosher salt
1) Preheat oven to 375ºF. Butter a 13×9-inch baking dish and set aside.
2) Place spinach in a medium skillet with 2 tablespoons of water over medium high heat. Cook until spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and squeeze out excess moisture from the cooked spinach. Chop and set aside.
3) In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook 4 minutes, until tender. Stir in garlic, Dijon mustard and oregano, continuing to stir for 30 seconds. Sprinkle with flour, cook for 1 minute while continuously stirring. Slowly whisk in milk, simmering over medium heat until thickened, stirring frequently for about 6-8 minutes. Stir in white cheddar, Feta, parsley, salt and pepper until well combined. Remove from heat and set aside.
4) In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook pasta until slightly firm, about 4-5 minutes. Drain and stir into cheese sauce along with chopped spinach. Spoon into prepared baking dish.
5) For the crumble topping, in a small bowl, toss panko crumbs, melted butter, Feta and a pinch of salt. Sprinkle evenly over mac & cheese and bake for 25 minutes.
Julie Albert & Lisa Gnat are thrilled to announce the launch of their newest cookbook, Lick Your Plate. It has received rave reviews and features over 160 recipes that are foolproof and fantastic. It’s a fresh and fun cookbook perfect for the home cook and also serves up over 100 drool-worthy recipe images, countless tips and tricks, meal pairings, and leftover suggestions. On shelves now, buy your copy online.