Recipe: Golden Beet Salad
Our gardening expert, David Jensen, shares one of his favourite light dinner dishes.
Head to the kitchen for something light and fresh to brighten up the dark days of winter. This recipe comes from my friend Jackie in Colorado.
For the beets
1 bunch of medium beets (about 3)
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
For the vinaigrette
2 Tbsp. honey
1½ Tbsp. Dijon mustard
3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. fresh ground pepper
6 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
For the salad
10 oz. or more mixed greens
3 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
½ cup walnuts or pecans, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Scrub beets clean, trim stems down to one inch, leaving tails on. Place beets in a large piece of foil, drizzle with olive oil. Wrap foil to form a sealed package.
2. Roast directly on rack in the middle of the oven until tender (1 to 2 hours, depending on the size of the beets. Pierce with a fork to see when they are tender).
3. Unwrap and cool beets. Use your hands or paring knife to remove skin. Dice beets (use a plate or stain-proof cutting board).
4. For the vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, Dijon, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper. Or add to a jar and shake.
5. For the salad: Place mixed greens in a bowl, drizzle with desired amount of dressing, and toss. Divide greens onto plates, add the beets, walnuts, and goat cheese.