Recipe: Butter Tart Squares
Y’know, there’s more to Canuck cuisine than back bacon, poutine and prairie oysters. Well, hold on to your toque there because Lisa has created a wicked home and native treat. This nut-free, Northern cousin of the pecan pie has a flaky pastry crust topped with a gooey combo of brown sugar and maple syrup. take off, pemmican—this is the new national delicacy.
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup flour
1 cup maple syrup
2 /3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp kosher salt
2 /3 cup currants
1) Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Cover the base of the pan with a square of parchment paper and coat again with non-stick cooking spray.
2) For the crust, in an electric mixer, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add the flour and beat just until flour disappears and the dough comes together. Press the mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Bake for 18 minutes or until the crust is golden.
3) For the filling, in a medium saucepan, combine the syrup, brown sugar and butter over medium heat. Simmer for 5 minutes to dissolve the brown sugar. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.
4) In a large bowl, whisk eggs, vanilla, flour, baking powder and salt. Add maple syrup mixture, whisking well to combine.
5) Scatter currants evenly over baked shortbread crust. Pour the filling over the currants and return to the oven to bake for 28-30 minutes or until the filling is set and slightly browned on top. Allow to cool in the pan for at least 1 hour before removing.
Yield: 16 squares
Julie Albert & Lisa Gnat are thrilled to announce the launch of their newest cookbook, Lick Your Plate. It has received rave reviews and features over 160 recipes that are foolproof and fantastic. It’s a fresh and fun cookbook perfect for the home cook and also serves up over 100 drool-worthy recipe images, countless tips and tricks, meal pairings, and leftover suggestions. On shelves now, buy your copy online.