Beat the heat and enjoy some treats with these fantastically frozen recipes, including everything from homemade ice cream sandwiches to superb slushies.
Go to the next level with your ice cream with these 12 superb sundae recipes.
1. Strawberry Margarita Recipe (above)
How do we get in our daily serving of fruit? We drink it, of course. This easy Strawberry Margarita recipe is the best, a combination of sweet strawberries, tart lime, tequila and triple sec.
2 cups ice
12 fresh strawberries, hulled
½ cup Tequila
1½ oz Triple Sec
1 oz Lime Cordial
1 tbsp sugar
Strawberries, for garnish
Sugar, to rim glass
Moisten the rim of a margarita glass with lime and dip glass in sugar to coat rim. Place ice in blender to crush. Add strawberries, tequila, triple sec, lime cordial and sugar. Blend until smooth. Pour into prepared glass and garnish with strawberries.
2. Frozen Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Pie
Elvis was able to swivel his hips and make women bawl, but really, he was just your average Joe, a guy who loved peanut butter and banana sandwiches. This pie is our hunka-hunka-freezing-love tribute to him—a simple, velvety smooth icebox pie that would surely have elicited a “thank you, thank you very much” from the Pelvis.
Vanilla Wafer Crust
1¼ cups finely ground vanilla wafer cookies (about 35)
¼ cup melted butter
2 tbsp sugar
Chocolate, Peanut Butter & Banana Filling
1 cup semi-sweet or milk chocolate, melted
3 large bananas, sliced
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup smooth peanut butter
½ cup cream cheese, softened
½ tsp vanilla extract
4 cups frozen dessert topping, defrosted
½ cup chocolate sundae syrup, for topping
1) Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch pie plate with non-stick cooking spray.
2) For the crust, in a medium bowl, combine vanilla crumbs, butter and sugar. Press against the bottom and sides of the pie plate to form a crust. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool completely before filling.
3) Cover the bottom of the crust with the melted chocolate and arrange banana slices on top of chocolate.
4) In an electric mixer, cream together brown sugar, peanut butter, cream cheese and vanilla on medium speed until smooth. Gently fold in whipped topping and spread over bananas. Drizzle top with chocolate sundae syrup.
5) Cover pie with plastic wrap and place in freezer for at least 3 hours before serving. For easier cutting, remove from freezer 10 minutes before serving.
3. Blueberry & Pistachio Frozen Yogurt
Got the munchies? This healthy snack of frozen Greek yogurt with blueberries and pistachios will curb your hunger!
2 cups plain Greek yogurt
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp lemon zest
1 cup blueberries, divided
1/2 cup shelled pistachios, divided
1) Line a 9×9 baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
2) In a medium bowl, combine yogurt, honey and lemon zest. Stir in 1/2 cup blueberries and 1/4 cup pistachios. Spread in baking pan. Top with remaining 1/2 cup blueberries and 1/4 cup pistachios.
3) Place in freezer for 5-6 hours, until completely frozen. Remove from freezer and use a sharp knife to break bark into small pieces. Place in resealable plastic bag and keep in freezer.
4. Homemade Oreo Ice Cream Sandwiches
We’ve always wanted to be the Good Humor Gals and now, thanks to Chef Lisa, we can be with these incredible Homemade Oreo Ice Cream Sandwiches. Kids are going to be flocking to our ice cream truck (read: our test kitchen) for these soft chocolate cookies that are stuffed with Oreo ice cream and rolled in crushed cookies. No freezer burn here!
Chocolate Cookie Crust
½ cup butter
1¼ cups semi sweet chocolate
1 cup flour
½ cup cocoa powder, sifted
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp kosher salt
1½ cups sugar
Oreo Cookie Ice Cream
Oreo Cookies, coarsely chopped for garnish
1) For the chocolate cookie crust, preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2) In a microwave-safe dish, melt the butter and chocolate. Let cool. In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk sugar and eggs until well combined. Whisk in melted chocolate and fold in flour mixture, just until flour disappears. Scoop 3 tbsp of cookie dough onto prepared baking sheet, pressing dough down slightly. Bake for 10-11 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Using a round cookie cutter, cut the cookies to make 12 even circles.
3) For the ice cream, allow it to soften for 5 minutes. Spread the ice cream into a 13×9-inch baking pan that has been covered on the bottom with plastic wrap. Place in freezer for 1 hour.
4) To assemble ice cream sandwiches, cut out ice cream circles using a round cookie cutter that is slightly smaller than the one used for the cookies. Place ice cream between 2 cookies, garnish edges with chopped cookies and wrap each sandwich with plastic wrap. Store in freezer until ready to serve.
Yield: 6 ice cream sandwiches
5. Blended Coffee & Coconut Ice
When is it coffee time? Always, especially when we get blending this Coffee and Coconut Ice Blended, a shake chock full of coffee, coconut and chocolate. Served in a coconut-rimmed glass and topped with whipped cream, this deliciously decadent drink is a winner!
1 cup strong brewed coffee, cold
½ cup whole milk
½ cup chocolate syrup
1/3 cup shredded coconut
2½ cups ice cubes
Marshmallow fluff, to rim glass
Shredded coconut, to rim glass
Whipped cream, for garnish
Chocolate Syrup, for garnish
To rim 2 milkshake glasses, coat a thin layer of marshmallow fluff around the rims and dip into the shredded coconut. Set aside.
Using a blender, combine coffee, milk, chocolate syrup, coconut and ice. Blend until smooth. Pour into prepared glasses and garnish with whipped cream and chocolate syrup.
6. Frozen Hot Chocolate
Forget burning your tongue on hot chocolate—now you can suffer brain freeze! Thanks to this Frozen Hot Chocolate, an icy, easy and delicious blend of milk, chocolate and ice, you’re going to have trouble taking small sips.
8 tbsp sugar
6 tbsp cocoa powder
6 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1½ cups whole milk
4 cups ice
In a small pan, whisk together sugar, cocoa powder, semi sweet chocolate and ½ cup milk over medium heat until melted. Remove from heat and whisk in remaining 1 cup of milk. Let cool slightly. Place in a blender with ice and blend until smooth.
7. Berry Blue Slush
Look out 7-Eleven. After sipping this super quick, easy and delicious Berry Blue Slush, we’re considering opening our very own chain (8-Twelve?), where we can sell our scrumptious, thirst-quenching slushies.
2 cups ice cubes
2 tbsp Berry Blue JELL-O powder
¾ cup 7UP soda
Using a blender, combine ice cubes, JELL-O powder and 7UP. Blend until smooth and frosty. Spoon or pour into a tall glass.