A reader wants to know: What are the best investments for my grandchildren?

Q – I made 2016 and 2017 RESP contribution for my twin grandchildren and intend to carry on for 2018. Can you suggest what type of funds/stocks/ETFs I should be holding? – Yvonne C.

A – The younger the children are, the more risk you can take in the plan. The easiest route is to use ETFs that cover the broad markets. For example, you could invest in a TSX-linked ETF, an S&P-linked ETF, and one that covers the EAFE stocks. You could also add a bond ETF to provide portfolio balance. As the children approach college age, reduce equity exposure to preserve capital. – G.P.

Do you have a money question you’d like to ask Gordon? Find out how to submit it here and then check out our Money section regularly to see if it was chosen for a response. Sorry, we cannot send personal answers.