Q&A With Gordon Pape: What to Do With RRSP Contribution Room After 71

RRSP tips

Photo: MoMo Productions/Getty Images

Gordon Pape advises a reader who is wondering what to do with RRSP contribution room after 71.

Q – My wife and I are 73 and have investments in TFSAs and RRIFs. I keep getting notes from the CRA that I have RRSP room hanging on from my working days. I’ve searched my Gordon Pape reference books trying to find if I have any use for this (RRSPs should be collapsed at age 71). It doesn’t seem like I can use this but thought that I would ask. – Mike T.

A – Yes, this is possible. You may have carry-forward room you did not use before converting to a RRIF. Also, you can generate new contribution room after age 71 if you have earned income. The question is, what to do with it? If you had a spouse under 71 years of age, you could contribute to a spousal plan and claim a deduction. In your case, however, that is not an option since you are both 73. – G.P.

Do you have a money question you’d like to ask Gordon? Send it along and then check out our Q&A section regularly to see if it was chosen for a response. Send questions to [email protected] and write Zoomer Question on the subject line. Sorry, we cannot send personal answers.