Question: My RRSP holdings include a mix of mutual funds (a self-directed house account at a major firm), GICs (through a chartered bank), and CSBs. Several GICs are up for renewal and I want to take the accumulated funds and purchase mutual funds, but not through the investment division of the bank. In practical terms, what do I tell the bank to do? I assume they do not send me the funds and that I do not receive official receipts as this is not a new contribution. 

Gordon Pape answer: One approach would be to instruct the bank to cash in all the GICs as they mature. Then transfer the RRSP the bank is holding, now all in cash, to your self-directed plan and add the mutual funds of your choice there.