U.S. stock losses

Q – I was foolish enough to buy a stock on the NASDAQ bulletin Board. It is called Luna Medical Technologies. While it planned to operate medical clinics in BC, it is a registered American company. The stock is now worthless. Can I claim a capital loss on my Canadian income tax? –   J.M. Ottawa

A – As far as claiming a capital loss is concerned, it does not matter where the stock traded. Nor does the nationality of the company matter. A loss is a loss, and it can be claimed against any taxable gains you may have. – G.P.