Dreamy Destinations on a Plate: Delicious Dishes From Belize
Bring home the sunny Caribbean with these classic dishes and tropical cocktails. Photo courtesy of Matachica Resort & Spa
Craving a getaway? Until we can all travel safely again, we’ve got recipes that will transport you to some of the world’s most beautiful destinations, all through your taste buds. Here, we’re heading south to the Caribbean country of Belize, on the northeastern coast of Central America.
Belize is a country rich in cultural diversity, making for a flavourful medley of foodie creativity. While Creole culture is quintessentially Belizean, today it has expanded to include other cultures like Maya and Mestizo. One of the top Creole must-haves for a true taste of Belize is Fry Jacks. Other classic dishes include fish tacos, empanadas, Mayan breakfast and, of course, tropical cocktails!
Coconut and yeast dough cut into triangles or squares and fried until golden. Enjoy this Belizean staple at home with the San Ignacio Resort Hotel’s very own recipe here.
- 3 cups flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vegetable shortening or oil(for the dough)
- 1 cup (approx) water
- 2 cups vegetable oil (for cooking)
- In bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. With pastry blender or two knives, cut in shortening (if using oil, add it to the ingredients). Knead dough, adding little bits of water at time in order to remove all clumps and create a smooth textured dough. Split dough in half and let stand for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in frying pan to medium temperature. Divide dough into 10 balls and flatten them into a circle. Cut each circle in half. Place dough in frying pan and cook until it turns a golden brown. Repeat on opposite side. And you’ve got yourself a delicious Fry Jack!
- Serve with eggs, refried beans, sugar, jam, golden honey, anything your taste buds desire! Buen provecho and have an amazing Belizean breakfast!
TEQUILA LIME FISH TACOS
- 1 can chile chipotle
- 1 shot tequila
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- Salt to taste
- 2 oz tomatoes
- 2 oz onion
- 1/2 oz garlic
- 1/2 oz olive oil
- 5 oz fish
- 3 corn tortillas
- 1 oz cilantro
- In bowl, combine together chipotle, tequila, lime juice and salt together.
- Dice tomatoes and onions; mince garlic.
- In skillet, heat olive oil. Sauté tomatoes, onions and garlic. Add fish. Add chipotle blend just before removing from pan. Add a splash of lime juice, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Serve on three corn tortillas. Garnish with cilantro.
Spice up your breakfast or dinner with these classic Belizean recipes from GAÏA Riverlodge.
- 1/4 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp butter
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup corn flour
- 1 tsp achiote paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- In a saucepan, stir-fry peppers, onion, zucchini and garlic in olive oil and butter; set aside to cool. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine corn flour, achiote paste and water; mix well and roll into two-inches balls. Flatten balls. Spoon in veggies and cheese. Fold in half and sealing the edges.
- Deep fry and serve with salsa.
- 1 tsp butter or olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped chaya
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 2 whole eggs, beaten
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- In skillet, sauté butter, chaya and onions over medium heat until the onions are translucent.
- Add beaten eggs and continue stirring until eggs are light and fluffy.
- Serve with refried beans and corn tortillas.
- 1/4 oz lime juice
- 2 oz fresh coconut rum
- 1 oz coconut cream
- Coconut slices, lime slices and fresh mint
- Splash soda water
Pour lime juice, rum and coconut cream into a tall glass. Add fresh ice, chopped-up coconut slices, lime and mint to decorate and top it off with soda water.
GRILLED PINA COLADA
- 1 ¾ oz grilled pina-infused Caribbean rum
- 1 ½ oz coconut cream
- 1 oz pineapple puree
- ½ oz fresh lime juice
- Pineapple slice and nutmeg
- Combine rum, coconut cream, pineapple puree and lime juice. Pour into a tall glass.
- Garnish with pineapple and nutmeg.