Travel tips: Maximize your miles
Frequent-flyer miles are now available and used by not-so-frequent flyers, with the increased popularity of programs like AirMiles ™ and the various offerings of the major bank credit cards. Get the most miles possible (and fly free sooner) by using the following tips.
- If using an airline plan, make sure your frequent-flyer account number is on your tickets or boarding pass, so that your mileage is credited promptly.
- Check carefully for the advantages of renting from certain car rental companies and staying at affiliated hotels.
- Check for the many other ways you can now earn miles, such as using a particular long-distance company or internet service provider, certain credit card, retail store reward programs, etc.
- Use non-travel travel rewards: look for points collection programmes of one kind or another. Match your spending patterns to the card that gives you the most bang for your buck.
- Keep an eye on your miles, and watch for expiry dates.
- As the popularity of programs has increased, it has also become much more difficult to redeem your rewards. Plan ahead to redeem your rewards, and plan to be fxible in arrival and departure dates.
- Depending on your card, you may be able to redeem your points for everything from grocery store vouchers to theatre tickets.