10 Tips for Canoeing When You’re 80
1. Surround yourself with competent people
2. Seek out opportunities to do small kindnesses for your companions
3. Don’t put anyone else at risk, because you won’t be able to help them
4. Leave your competitive instincts behind. Don’t go out of your way to carry heavy loads
5. Don’t forget your meds, and get any health issues out in the open at the start
6. The books that you bring along should be conversation-starters
7. Take care selecting what to wear: You’re going to have to both stay cool and keep warm if you’re paddling the north woods in June
8. Be generous of spirit
9. Keep a brave face and don’t worry—and don’t let others worry that you worry. And don’t be worried that everybody is going to worry about you anyway
10. Don’t be nonplussed by plain food, and remember: Making like a bear in the woods is no more undignified at age 80 than it was at age 20.
Get on with it.
— Don Irvine