DISH UP – Island Caponata
Delicious served hot or cold, this classic Italian vegetable dish takes on a distinctly island flavour.
Preparation: 1 hour
- 1 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, two in slivers and two diced and set aside separately
- 4 scallion, two sliced approximately 1-inch pieces and two diced
- 1 small red onion or medium shallot, cut into slivers
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaves, washed, dried and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mint leaves, washed, dried and chopped
- 2 large eggplant or 5 small Italian eggplant, cut in 1-inch squares
- 3 – 4 zucchini, cut in 1-inch rounds then halved
- 2 turned plantain (solid but not fully ripened), cut in 1-inch rounds then halved
- 1 red, yellow or orange bell pepper, seeded and diced (approximately 1⁄4-inch)
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisins or currants
- 1 thumb ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. orange blossom honey
- zest of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 ̊F.
2. Prepare an oven tray with foil or use a nonstick pan.
3. Mix in a bowl 2/3 cup oil, 1⁄4 cup cilantro, 1⁄4 cup mint leaves, the slivers of garlic
and diced scallion, and salt and black pepper.