Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Soup
CARP RECOMMENDED PARTNER SPONSORED CONTENT
As summer bids us adieu, let us take comfort that the harvest season is here! Time to gather fresh produce and reap the benefits of all the nutrients and vitamins these fruits and veggies have to offer.
This soup is the perfect meal for an autumn day. Simple and delicious, it will provide a yummy source of beta-carotene, which our body converts to vitamin A. Vitamin A, is essential for our eyes! It protects our corneas, decreases the risk of vision loss and age-related macular degeneration (LINK), and helps maintain general eye health.
It will surely delight your taste buds and we know you will want to prepare this again and again!
INGREDIENTS – Serves 4
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
¼ teaspoon salt
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and diced
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
4 cups vegetable broth
½ cup full fat coconut milk
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon curry powder
a dash of chilli powder
1. In a large pot, on medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the carrot, onion and salt. Cook for about 5 minutes, and then add the spices.
2. After everything has been mixed together, add the squash and sweet potato, then pour in the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover while allowing it to cook for approximately twenty minutes or until the veggies are very tender.
3. Using an immersion blender or regular blender, puree the vegetables. The texture should be smooth. Transfer mixture back to the pot then pour in the coconut milk. Stir to combine then heat it through on medium-low heat for about 5 minutes.
CARP members receive exceptional benefits at IRIS:
- $150 towards any complete pair of prescription eyewear (frame and lenses valued at $250 or more) or prescription sunglasses
- $50 towards the purchase of an annual supply of contact lenses
- $50 towards non-prescription sunglasses valued at $100 or more
- $500 towards vision correction procedures at our ophthalmology clinic in Laval, Quebec
- $25 towards the purchase of 3 or more bottles of Eye Omega Benefits 240 Gel Caps
Register with CARP and receive your IRIS Benefits. Visit www.carp.ca.